Step aside “faint of heart,” this soup is for the “fire breathers.” It’s got the savory heat that spice-seekers crave. The culprits include: ginger root, red curry paste, jalapenos and cilantro. However, that’s not all this soup has. It also has lemongrass stalks, garlic, vegetable oil, chicken thighs, fish sauce, lime, coconut milk, red onion and chicken broth. The mixture is a master-full concoction. It has the spice you want, but doesn’t lack the flavor you need.
Make this soup as a side or serve as the main entrée. It provides enough to serve four to six people. Keep in mind; this does take some time to make. Allow about 20 minutes for prep and 60 minutes for cook time. The meal should be ready in 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Keep in mind, this recipe is made perfectly by an attentive person. There’s a certain art to this recipe. But, follow the instructions and you’re on your way to success!
First slice up the chicken thighs into about 1” pieces. Put this off to the side. Pull out a large pot and put it on medium heat. Mix in the lemongrass, garlic and the ginger. Add into the mix some chicken broth. Let it come to a boil before reducing the heat to a simmer. This should simmer for about 30 minutes (once finished strain). In another large pot, mix in some vegetable oil and put the burner on a medium heat. Add the chicken pieces and allow this to cook for about 5 minutes, before adding the mushrooms. The mushrooms should cook for another 5 minutes. Once this time has passed, add in the red curry paste, lime juice and fish sauce. You can also mix in some coconut milk and chicken broth at this time. Bring this all to a simmer. Allow it to cook for about 15 to 20 minutes on a low heat. Take a little time to remove any excess oil that may have accumulated at the surface. Add the red onion to the mix and allow it to cook until the onion becomes soft. Once you remove the pot from the burner you can add ½ the cilantro. Serve your dish with the rest of the cilantro, the jalapenos and a few lime wedges. These three items are great toppings for your guests to garnish the soup with. If you follow this recipe to a tee, you’ll find yourself with a delicious dish that awakens the senses.
Thai Kickin' Chicken Soup
By April 10, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 mins
Step aside “faint of heart,” this soup is for the “fire breathers.” It’s got the savory heat that spice-seekers crave. The …
- 3Tbs Lemongrass Stalks
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 4 inches Ginger Root chopped
- 1Tbs Vegetable Oil
- 2.5lbs Chicken Thighs Boneless, Skinless
- 12oz White Mushrooms sliced
- 2tps Red Curry Paste
- 3Tb Fish Sauce
- 1 Lime juiced
- 14oz Coconut Milk
- 1 Red Onion sliced
- 1/4 Cilantro Bunch Coarsely Chopped
- 1 Jalapeno sliced
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- Cut chicken thighs in to 1" pieces and set aside.
- In a large stock pot over medium heat stir in lemon grass, garlic, ginger. Add chicken broth. When it comes to a boil reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. When it's done, strain it and set it aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in another large pot over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes. Then add mushrooms and cook 5 more minutes.
- Add red curry paste, fish sauce, and lime juice, then stir in the coconut milk/chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Cook it over low heat for 15-20 minutes. Skim off any extra oil on the surface.
- Add red onion to the chicken mixture and cook until the onion is soft.
- Remove the pot from heat and add about 1/2 of the cilantro.
- Serve the rest of the cilantro on a plate with some lime wedges and sliced jalapeno's for soup toppers.