What’s better than good ole’ fashioned sugar cookies? Tasty, easy to make, and simply delicious! These classic delicacies are made of: butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, flour, baking powder, and salt. Plus, add food dye for a fun pop of color.
Start these sugary treats by reaching for a large bowl. Mix into the bowl: butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add in your yellow and red food dyes. Use another bowl to mix flour, baking powder and salt together. Once mixed, return to your large bowl, add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients with an electric mixer.
Next you can wrap up the cookie dough using plastic wrap. Allow this to chill for an hour.
Once ready, you can preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In this time you’ll roll out the cookie dough and cut out the circles. Dough will be transferred to the baking sheet (lined with parchment paper). These circles will be your pumpkins. You’ll use the extra dough and green dye to create the stems. Get extra creative by adding vines to your pumpkin stems.
Bake your sugary delights for 7-10 minutes. When finished, the cookies should appear lightly browned along the edges.
Serve to friends or family. You can even wrap these up for a fun and festive gift.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 40 drops yellow food dye
- 20 drops red food dye
- 8 drops green food dye
- In a large bowl, mix together butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix in yellow and red food dyes. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture into wet mixture and stir until well combined or use an electric mixer.
- Wrap cookie dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a clean floured surface roll out cookie dough 1/8″ thick. Using a drinking glass make a circle cut into the dough. Move glass a third to the right and cut again. Once more, move the glass a third to the right and cut. (See diagram below) Repeat until all there’s no room left on the dough.
- Carefully, peel away excess dough. Save the scraps. Transfer cookies to a parchment lined baking sheet. In a small mixing bowl, grab a small amount of scrap dough, add green food dye and mix thoroughly. Roll out small stems and attach to tops of pumpkins. You can even make little vines.
- Bake 7 to 10 minutes. The cookies will be slightly browned around the edges.