- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large cast iron, or oven safe skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Reserve 2 tablespoons in a small bowl. Add chopped onion and garlic to skillet, cook until onions have softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. In a large bowl, combine spinach, ricotta, eggs, feta, cooled onions, salt and pepper. Pour mixture into skillet.
- Bush one sheet of phyllo at a time and lay over spinach mixture. Fold in edges to fit pan. Repeat. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Editor’s Note: Rotate and slightly scrunch each sheet of phyllo. This will give you an even layer and a ruffled top.