For the Praline Layer:
- 8 Tbs unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups pecans, toasted
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 1 Tbs applecider vinager
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 Tbsbourbon / 1 shot glass
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch springform pan, then line the bottom and sides with parchment paper and butter the paper.
- Let’s start with the praline topping first! Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar, corn syrup, kosher salt and vanilla.Pour the well mixed praline in the greased and parchment covered pan. It’s going to want to pool and won’t likely want to spread with a spoon very well and that’s ok! Next, pour the pecans on top of the praline. Now that the pecans are on top the praline layer will spread better. Just grab a spatula and gently move the pecans where they need to be and the praline will follow.
- On to the Cake! Whisk the flour, baking soda, nutmeg and fine salt in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl add your milk and apple cider vinegar, stir, and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then add the bourbon and vanilla extract to the bowl and set it aside for now.
- With a good mixer beat the butter and granulated sugar until fluffy, 5 minutes or so. Switch the mixer on low, beat in the eggs, one at a time when it’s well blended kick the mixer back up to medium speed for a minute or two. This next part is important so pay attention! 😉 **Add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the bourbon milk mixture, starting and ending with flour. Fold in the pecans.**
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack, 30 minutes. Please be careful with this next part as the pan still may be a bit hot to the touch! Remove the springform ring, invert the cake onto a plate and carefully remove the paper. Serve with ice cream.